Corcovado, located in southwest Costa Rica on the Osa Peninsula, is one of the last significant virgin rainforests in Central America. It is inhabited by thousands of plant and animal species, including some which are endangered. This is one of the most biologically diverse places on earth, and the main attraction is nature observing at Corcovado National Park.
The area is isolated and difficult to access. The best way to visit is to fly into Puerto Jimenez or Drake and then stay at one of the lodges on the outskirts of the National Park. Award-winning eco-lodges include Lapa Rios and Aguila de Osa Inn. Other remote hideaways include Casa Corcovado, Villas Corcovado, La Paloma Lodge, and Bosques del Cabo. Various day tours into the park are available. The weather is hot and humid, and the area receives a tremendous amount of rain.
The beaches in this region are untouched by development. Corcovado is the perfect destination for the adventurous traveler who wants to experience nature in its truest form while staying in rustic accommodations. Recommended stays start at three nights, with packages that include meals, lodging, transportation, and tours. Highlights include the guided hikes in the Corcovado National Park and boat tours to Cano Island. Corcovado / Osa is the perfect region for nature lovers that wish to experience wildlife in its natural habitat.
Suggested activities while in Corcovado - Osa Peninsula:
- Visit Corcovado National Park. Two biological stations - San Pedro and La Sirena - provide starting points for exhilarating nature hikes. To take full advantage of the area, use the services of an expert guide. Most Corcovado packages feature this tour.
- Tour Cano Island. Many experts consider this one of Costa Rica's top diving spots. You can also snorkel, explore nature or relax in the sun. The boat ride itself makes this tour a worthwhile excursion.
- Go dolphin and whale watching. During the migratory season, the waters off the coast of Corcovado are full of dolphins and whales traveling to and from North and South America. Experts guide the boat in search of these magnificent ocean mammals, offering visitors a responsible, close encounter with over twenty-five species of dolphins and whales.
- Glide through a challenging canopy tour. Enjoy a trademark Costa Rican adventure while experiencing this natural wonderland.
- Go on a sport fishing expedition for billfish. Many lodges, such as Crocodile Bay and Aguila de Osa, specialize in deep sea sport fishing.
Please e-mail us at email@example.com or call us toll free at (888) 928-3688 to talk to one of our Costa Rica vacation specialists or to design a customized Costa Rica travel package that includes a visit to the Corcovado - Osa Peninsula region. Book your three-night Corcovado package to experience one of the world's most ecologically diverse nature sanctuaries.