The Central Pacific beaches of Manuel Antonio and Jaco / Herradura offer something for everyone. The region is a must for families with children, couples on a romantic, adventure-filled getaway, and nature lovers in general.
Manuel Antonio National Park is the most popular destination in Costa Rica, yet the government has been able to keep this famous national park unspoiled. Here you can find almost any type of adventure activity and tour. Farther south, Dominical is a more remote destination popular with surfers.
Gaia Hotel & Reserve, member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World, is the most luxurious option in the area while Si Como No is probably the best-known, greenest and most popular. Boutique hotels, such as Makanda, Xandari Pacific and Arenas del Mar, are available. In the Jaco / Herradura beaches, the two top hotels and resors for Costa Rica honeymoons feature the Marriott Los Suenos and romantic Villa Caletas.
Easily accessible from San Jose by inexpensive flights or car, the Central Pacific is a wonderful destination for both families and couples. Recommended stays are three to five nights.
Suggested activities while in Manuel Antonio - Jaco / Herradura:
- It's a must to visit Manuel Antonio National Park. Observe spider and white-faced monkeys, sloths and iguanas, hike through the mangroves, and lounge on the pristine beaches.
- Quepos is home to some of the world's best sport fishing. Boats with experienced crews and great service can be reserved for a half day in-shore outing or a full day offshore billfishing adventure.
- Experience sea or estuary kayaking in the warm waters of the Damas Island estuary and mangroves, and get a great workout at the same time!
- Embark on a full-day cruise to Tortuga Island. The island (no connection to sea turtles) is located near the Nicoya Peninsula. Start with a drive to the Pacific port of Puntarenas, followed by a sun-drenched voyage in a Catamaran through turquoise waters to the splendid white sand beach. Once ashore, play volleyball, snorkel, go on a nature hike, or relax and soak up the rays in the awe-inspiring beauty. A succulent beach BBQ is served at lunchtime.
- Spend a romantic afternoon or evening off the shores of Quepos on a Catamaran cruise.
- Marvel at the unspoiled beaches of Manuel Antonio and the mysterious islands that lay just offshore as you sail on a 37-foot catamaran off the Central Pacific waters. Jagged rock formations and towering cliffs are host and nesting grounds to countless marine birds and their young. Search for spotted dolphins and keep an eye out for giant sea turtles and migrating humpback whales. The tour will stop in one of the many protected jungle coves to swim, snorkel and enjoy lunch or dinner.
- Explore the mangroves on a motorized boat tour guided by experts. This tour presents a unique opportunity to spot local wildlife while traveling by boat through this pristine ecosystem. Expect close encounters with white-faced monkeys, sloths and many bird species.
- Join other horse lovers on a guided horseback tour through the Pacific Lowland Rainforest Reserves in Manuel Antonio to a spectacular waterfall where you can enjoy a refreshing swim in the pristine lagoon.
- Spend a half or full day white water rafting two of Costa Rica's most picturesque rivers, the Naranjo River (Class II / III) or the more challenging Savegre River (Class III / IV), accompanied by expert bilingual guides.
- Glide through the rainforest in a challenging canopy tour experience. Enjoy a trademark Costa Rican nature adventure while learning about this unique ecosystem.
Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll free at (888) 928-3688 to talk to one of our Costa Rica vacation specialists or to design a customized Costa Rica travel package that includes a visit to the Manuel Antonio - Jaco / Herradura area. Plan your romantic, adventure-filled escape or your Costa Rica family vacation with a visit to this popular region of the country. Stay in top hotels and resorts in Costa Rica's most visited region.