The rare phenomenon where climatic conditions cause cloud and mist to be in regular contact with the vegetation is called a cloud forest. Few exist in the world, and Monteverde is one of the few destinations where cloud forests are easily accessible. This magical environment has enchanted visitors from all over the world. Monteverde is home to the Quetzal, one of the true prizes for avid birdwatchers.
Nature lovers visit this secluded part of the country in search of exciting trails in the cloud forest, adventurous canopy rides, and relaxing evenings in the cool, crisp climate. Cozy mountain lodges also provide the perfect romantic setting. The town of Monteverde was founded by Quakers, and aside from tourism and hotels, the main economic activity centers around agriculture and dairy production. The region is home to the Monteverde Cheese factory and the organic Monteverde coffee tour. Most of the restaurants and resorts are owned and managed by local families and offer down-to-earth Quaker hospitality.
Spending one or two nights in Monteverde is a memorable part of a Costa Rican vacation. We recommend a minimum one-night stay with at least two full days to enjoy the region. Due to the difficult access roads into the region, ideally, your stay in Monteverde should be scheduled in the middle of your Costa Rica vacation itinerary, allowing your starting and ending hotels to be more accessible to the airports.
Suggested Activities While in Monteverde:
- Visit the Cloud Forest National Parks of Monteverde and Santa Elena. Both parks have short and long hiking trails, which take from two to six hours to climb. As two of only a few unspoiled cloud forests on earth, they are truly a unique experience.
- The Serpentarium is a zoo dedicated to snakes and reptiles. It's worth a visit to observe the many varieties of snakes that live in Costa Rica's Cloud Forest.
- Visit the famous Monteverde Cheese Factory. The Monteverde region was founded by Quakers, and early on, they established this factory as one of their only industrial activities. Tour the facility to learn the process of producing different cheeses. Taste the products and the superb hand-dipped ice cream at the end of the tour!
- Experience the Sky Walk / Sky Trek or the Canopy Tour. Costa Rica boasts over 50 canopy tours, but two of the originals are in Monteverde. The mist of the cloud forest makes this the most magical canopy experience in Costa Rica.
- Learn about the coffee growing and processing industry on the Monteverde Coffee Tour. Taste some of Costa Rica's best coffee as you learn about one of the country's most important and traditional agricultural products.
- Tour the Cloud Forest private reserves on guided horseback or ATV -- a more adventurous way to enjoy this unique eco-system.
Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll free at (888) 928-3688 to talk to one of our Costa Rica vacation specialists and to plan a customized Costa Rica travel package that includes a visit to the Monteverde and Santa Elena Cloud Forests.